Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Day 26-Putting lessons learned to the test

We had somewhat of a catastrophe at the Martushev household last night when the girl's requested Hamburger Stroganoff and I was quick to oblige. I got it all ready and went for the sour cream in the fridge to see that WHAT?! We were out...You have to understand that one of Russia's staples is "smetahna" which is what my girls call it, or sour cream. One of thier favorite things to eat is sour cream on bread...something they learned from thier Papa. So I was literally flabbergasted when I could not find any in the fridge. We usually have about 3 tubs in our fridge at a time, especially during soup season! What was a mom to do?
The thought came to my mind to do what Liane would do. She always has the funniest stories about when she or her mom didnt have an ingredient they had, and they completely improvised! More than once I would ask Liane about a recipe and she would tell me what was in it, but put the plug in "but I did'nt have (insert ingredient here) so I just used (insert different ingredient here)." And it ALWAYS turned out good. So I did as my bestie would do and improvised.
I must have done something right cause THIS little cutie, who usually does not eat more than about 5 bites of her dinner had...wait for it...THREE helpings!!

Today I am thankful for Liane and her lesson she taught me about improvising in the kitchen. Dinner was not only saved, but Ella had a very full tummy for the first time in weeks! (ok many not weeks, but she sure loved it!)

No comments: