Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Journal Jar Entry

Q: Do you still have/remember your Grandparents/Great Grandparents? What do you remember about them?

A: If I had my old files on my computer, I could probley find a pic of my Grandparents. Especially the ones that I was able to have in my life.

Alas, I do not have the files on this computer, so no pics today. Maybe Ill come back and add them at a later time. However, that does in no way, shape or form diminish my memories that I have of both sets of Grandparents-both the Pederson and Demars side.
One of the best memories I have of my Grandpa and Grandma Demars is of them coming to visit at Christmastime. Grandma would french braid my hair (one of the few times it was done when I was a kid) and she did not tread lightly. That braid would have stayed in for DAYS as tight as she did it, but I loved how it looked all wavy once I took it out. After she had a stroke later in life, I was privledged to see a much softer and more sensitive side of my Grandma and it was wonderful to be a part of that. She showed tough love, but it was love.
My Grandpa Demars, as with most of the grandkids I remember him telling the story of Epandimondos! I also remember chocolate covered orange and raspberry sticks, eating cheerios on the dek of thier house with fresh raspberries or whatever fruit was in season, playing the thier back yard and beautiful garden, and seeing his bushy eyebrows shoot up on his forehead when I came in the morning and snuggled with him. Gentle and kind till the end, I love telling stories about him to the girls. I even call Sofia "sweets" alot because of the way Grandpa would answer the phone when he found out it was a grandaughter calling, "Hello my sweet!"
My Grandma Pederson was the sweetest, elect lady you could meet. I remember her sweet little pat, pat, rub, rub pat patter on your hand as she just loved you. She would always say, "Kiss you once, kiss you twice, kiss you once again." Petite and with snow white hair, she stayed that way till she passed away. She knew how to handle Grandpa Pederson and you could SEE how much she loved her grandchildren. I was sad that I was not able to see her with the girls, but I know she is proud of them.
Grandpa Pederson was for the most part in my memories, a boys Grandpa. He loved to hunt, fish and was very respectful and demanded respect from others to thier elders. He was a tall, broad shouldered man and had his favorite chair. I dont remember him smiling a ton, but when he did, his face sure lit up. It was usually when he was holding one of his grandkids that you would see the gentle giant emerge. I drove around his old red pickup truck "The Hoopdie" was what it was nicknamed and I always remembered that it was his.
Grandparents are the reward we get for helping our parents survive our childhood. They have thier reward simply in thier name which is not simply given, but earned. They help us remember that we did not get her by ourselves, spoil and sometimes overspoil us, because they can, and give us something and someone to aspire to. What a blessing they are. Im so grateful for the example "Grandpa" shows to our girls. He is truly thier hero.

No comments: