Monday, April 2, 2012

JJ Post- Pets

Q: Did you ever have any pets growing up? What were they?

A: The short answer to this question would be yep. And then to name the very few that were in mine and my 5 brothers lives as we grew. But that would be entirely too boring and do significant INjustice to the awesome pets that we had. SO here goes my ode to the Pederson Pets we had.

Pooch-The first pet that I can honestly say I remember was Pooch. I cant remember when he strolled into our yard, or what it was about him that made Dad let us keep him, but he was in a word- awesome. The cutest dog ever and so friendly. Black and white and some kind of mutt mix, he was so great with us kids and we adored him. I do remember that he did NOT like anyone in uniform. Sticking with the stereotype, he hated the mailman, and even though he loved my Dad, if he came home in uniform- he would growl and bark. We chalked it up to someone in his past that was not very nice to him.
Pooch was such a part of the family, that when my Dad let us know that he had been shot by some heartless kid in the neighborhood, we were pretty devastated. We took him to the vet, and were told that if we could keep him still, he might make it. Well we tried, but the next day he was gone. I still dont know for sure if he went to die on his own somewhere (which was what we were told) or if my Dad had to take care of him without us knowing (one of the many unfortunate duties of a parent sometimes). Either way, it was a great dog, and with him came SO many great memories.

Hardcastle-This turtle was a stud. He made his way from hot Oklahoma, where I found him and almost stepped on the poor guy, to wet Oregon. My Dad actually named him, and he was just awesome. He loved blackberries and just trekked slowly around the house. What a rockstar. I cannot even remember how long we had him, but there was a time when we figured we may want to give him up to a pet store that might be able to take care of him as he "aged". Then one day my brother (who shall not be named-although he KNOWS who he is...) took him outside and forgot to bring him back in...Hardcastle, the turtle, ran away. I know! Tragic. I bawled. I was so upset. But I was comforted by my Mom telling me that he went to the gutter and is happily living out the rest of his days among other friends... Thanks Mom.

Chester-This was not even my pet, but a part of the family. If Russ has'nt already, he needs to really write a story about this guy. It started with a very sweet lady in our ward, who brought over an egg that was hatching and Russ, the youngest one in our family, was holding the egg as it hatched in his hands. I was there, and to be honest? It was pretty stinkin cool. He named him Hardcastle after a book that my Grandpa Demars read to us, "Chester, I love you". He was the cutest little duckling! I remember him just peeping all night long the first few weeks we had him. Holy cow it was annoying! It was the most amazing thing to watch. This duck would quack at the bus each morning as Russ got on. Then the bus would drive away and Chester would make his rounds to the neighbors houses. They loved him as much as we did. He would be fed by a few close friends, and then make his way back to our house standing guard, if you will. This duck would chase cats out of our yard- I'm completely serious! He was fearless! Then when Russ got home from school, he was right there in the yard, quacking away, waiting for him. It was the cutest thing ever.
I still remember my Dad getting a bit sad when he had to sit us all down that Sunday morning to let us know that Chester had been hit by a car and died. I remember just bawling (along with everyone else in the family) and feeling that heartwrenching sadness for a pet for the first time. That duck, that duck was a part of our family and it was so hard to see him go. If I ever had the chance, I would do just about anything to have my kids have that kind of experience like Russ and the rest of us had with Chester.

Although it seems like the Pederson pets met mostly early and undesireable demises, we still loved them and would not have missed those experiences for the world. They were a part of my childhood and a pretty darn good childhood it was.

2 comments:

Jacki said...

Dude! All of your pets died early. What the heck woman!? No wonder you don't have pets now. Ha ha ha!

Charity said...

Cruel Jacki...just cruel. And in answer to your question- I know! Sucked!