Monday, March 19, 2012

Who's yours?

If you have ever seen the show Grey's Anatomy, you will know the special relationship that two characters have calling the other "thier person". The one they tell things to, share with, cry with, laugh with etc. They both have significant others, and they in now way shape or form take the place over that significant other, but they do have them....and I am so glad that I can be "a person" for one of my siblings- Russ. I hope he is not offended that I share this post about him.

We have always been close, him and I. Im not sure if it is due to age gap of 5 years (which is fairly significant when there are 6 of us in 8 years...). He is one of the calls that I make weekly and when we have not touched base with one another, we usually are reaching out to see what the heck is going on and why the breach of contract has occured. One such message tugged just a bit at my heartstrings the other day when I recieved the following on my phone.
"So I just got out of my phi beta kappa interview. Pretty cool. Only 100 out of 25,000 students get in. Im in the top 2% of my graduating class, so I got in. It's bittersweet though. My first thought was to tell Mom. I hate it when that happens. So im telling you. Call me when you can."
Unfortunately, this was not the only time I have received a message similar to this and it made me feel so fortunate to have such a brother that will let me be a substitute (albeit a very poor one) for our Mom and allow me to be "his person".

I am so proud of him for making it into Phi Beta Kappa. What a compliment to not only his academics, but his way with words (something that us Pedersons know a little bit about....) So I guess my question for myself today was, have I let "my person"now just how much I need and appreciate them. How 'bout you?

1 comment:

Jacki said...

So cute!! Becky is totally "my person". I'm sure that's quite the shocker.