Friday, December 21, 2012

I work for a great company...

CompHealth-a Division of CHG who I work for has an office in CT very close to the tragedy at the elementary school. We as a company were asked to make snowflakes and send to the CT company for the school to hang.  I have a friend in the CT office who's sister was the trauma nurse at the local ER during the shooting and she let me know that the entire state is in mourning...so strong that she can only listen as she cries thinking of the tragedy.

This morning, a fellow CHG associate sent over this email.

A week ago today our family and community was changed forever.  I have been meaning to send this email for some time but can not see past the tears that fall ever time I try to compose it.  But through the support and comfort of my neighbors, community and CHG we are starting to emerge from the darkness. 

My 7 year old son was present at the time of this unimaginable tragedy.  He did not have the comfort of his teacher as she was in the front office attending a meeting.  A floating substitute, was with them.  His teacher called to say how sorry and guilty she was that she was not there for them.  But Yesterday I got to meet the woman (girl really) who saved the lives of my son and his classmates.  Her name is Ms. Reynolds.  I hugged her until she finally asked me to let go.  She insisted she did nothing special.  But she did.  The doors in that school open out into the hall and have no locks on them.  She but the kids against the interior classroom wall, where just on the other side stomped the footsteps of a monster.  She held the door closed with everything she had, all the time she must have know she would be the first to parish if he had chosen that room.  She told me that she if that time came, she hoped sheer adrenaline would save them.  She is my hero.

The past few days our small quaint New England town has venn filled with sorrow, tears, and back to back funerals.  But the love that is pulsing through our community is something that continues to astonish me.  Every second of our children's lives now are filled with events that shower them with compassion to make sure they know they are SAFE and loved.

 As I heard the 26 bells ring outside my window this morning, I knew it was time to tell everyone how thankful I am for your thoughts, prayers, emails, books, and even snowflakes.

Thank You from the bottom of our hearts
-Melissa Horan

I won't even try to comprehend what those families went through, are going through, and will go through. Sofia is 6. My heart continues to ache for the families and thier loved ones.

I only ask that we be good to one another this holiday season and try to be year round. May we show other people that we CAN be good to one another. That we CAN rise above the hate of the world, that we CAN respect.

Merry Christmas.

No comments: