Thursday, June 21, 2012

This kind of bond does'nt break

Back in 1998, I was serving a mission in Russia and my district in the city of Perm where I was serving was working on getting a young man baptized whose parents were already members. I remember praying for this particular potential member who we all knew would be a great addition to the church someday. Well, Artyom decided to get baptized and Louis aka Elder Horvath was the one who baptized him. I remember getting a picture with a short note on the back telling me that it finally happened. It was a good day. Well fast forward 7 years later and that "young man" and myself were sealed in the Portland, Oregon Temple. Another good day.
Last week, we were able to travel to California and see one of my old companions who I served with in Perm, Russia-Kristina Crain King. Yet another good day.
When I found out that we were going to California, I decided to see if I could pull off the ultimate surprise for Artyom. I emailed Louis Horvath and asked about getting Artyom and himself together. He was great and agreed immediately and promised to keep the secret! Well we pulled it off. I had to totally throw Artyom off a few times, but I was able to keep it underwraps. Saturday we made the drive, telling him we were meeting a bunch of friends for a BBQ. When we pulled up to the house, I asked him, "Who do you see?" Well at the time, there were just Horvath's kids running up to the car so he smiled, waved and said, well I see kids. I said look again! Who do you see?! Horvath came up to the car and Artyom did a double take. ITS HORVATH!!! It was awesome. Alot of laughs, some tears (coming from me of course!) and after 15 years, Louis Horvath and Artyom Martushev were able to see one another again.
It was a VERY good day...

2 comments: