Tuesday, October 20, 2009

NOT impressed with Mr. Chuck

Sofia has had so many little friend birthday parties lately! There are just alot of kids born about the same time of year as her. She cracks me up in that just about every other day, she asks whose birthday it is. She will go through her list of friends and more often than not, there is one more that has a birthday party we will be attending.

More than a few weeks ago (September to be correct...I know I'm a BIT behind ok?) we went to her buddy's Luke and Stevie's combined birthday party at Chuck E. Cheeses. So call me a mom, but I was giddy with excitement to see her first meeting with the 2nd place mouse (behind the big guy himself...y'all know which mouse I am referring...) Anyway. We started off great!



We had some cake...



Sofia helped the boys open presents from us- I had to think back to what I got for my birthdays to figure out what to get them...they are after all boys and not into that whole barrette thing so much.


We played some games....


Then HE came out. I was so excited for Sofia to see him and get a picture with THE Mouse. Instead when her eyes set foot on him, what I got was a TERRIFIED little girl who was running for the hills and as far away from Chuck as possible. Steve (the younger of the two boys) hid underneath our table and Sofia was a close second. This is where I am a horrible mom. I was laughing hysterically!! With my Sofia in my arms in a death grip, I was trying to soothe her in between the laughter. Finally Chuck took a break and it was back to playing games. Until....


Break time over. I tried my best to prepare Sofia (as I spotted him first) by crouching down and calmly telling her that I did not want her to get upset bu Chuck E. Cheese was back out. She barely heard the last word and RAN FULL SPEED screaming the entire way to the first pair of open (and furthest away) arms she could find.


This time I let her be soothed by another Baba as I grabbed the camera. I could not get Sof to look at me. Her face was BURIED in that soothing yet leathal shoulder only a Russian Grandma can have (years of using it as a blocking mechanism to get on the bus). Notice the little boy? That is Stevie trying to pry Sofia's death grip from HIS Baba so he can have a turn (one in the same who hid underneath the table the first go around).


Needless to say it was NOT the scenario I had expected. Here's how the conversation went on the way home.


Us: "Sofia, how did you like Chuck E. Cheeses?"


Sof: "Mama, I do NOT like Chuck E. Cheese"


Us: "But did you have fun at the party?"


Sof: "Yes, but Mama, I do NOT like Chuck E. Cheese, Im scared of him!"


Us: "Ellichka, how did you like Chuck E. Cheese?"


Ella: (insert big ole grin here) "Cheese!"


She had no problem with him at all....


I guess Disneyland (even if we could afford it) is out of the question for a few years...

1 comment:

uniquelynat said...

that is too funny. we had the same experience. but addie loved it and even her scared-ness (?) can't keep her away. she wants to go back so bad. i think we are old enough for disney now.