Thursday, October 22, 2009

Free is a very good price...


Call me one of those who "takes advantage" i.e. when you go to a place when they have thier neverending pasta bowl? Better believe my last bowl is going to be "to-go". So growing up we kept the saying of "Free is a very good price" (compliments of the late? Tom Petersen guy)saying as a sort of motto in our home. If it was free (and yes, such a thing still exists) you get it...two if you can.

It was in this spirit that when asked if we wanted to go to our friends Company Picnic at the Canby Fairgrounds where everything (from the food, to the rides, to the entertainment) was FREE. Well, you did not have to ask us twice. Here are a few highlights (pics stolen from Sare's blog as my camera is still holding mine hostage).
The price? We must have waited about 45+ minutes for these ponies to let us have our turn to ride. We kept on having to drag Sofia back as each time the tiny gate would open, she was using those arms (blockers courtesy of her Russian DNA) to get through to the front. Good thing she is cute. I think that is what saved her...
She was a might happy camper when it was her turn...I think she was gloating to all the other kids in the line...check out the yawner in the background...yeah, it was somthing like that.
Ella would have gone on this one by herself, but it was the mom who was a bit shy about it. Maybe if they could have duct taped her into the saddle...but I didnt mind going with her. It gave me a front seat to her grins and giggles for her first pony ride.

When lunch time rolled around, we had to beg, bribe and threaten Sofia to eat. I'm told one day she will find eating more enjoyable and not such a chore anymore. This pic was caught when I told her she had to finish her hamburger and then we would go on the pony rides...She stuffed the entire thing into her mouth. Were talking a full hamburger (she stuffed about 1/2 of one in).
All I could do was pray she did not choke and kept on repeating- Chew Maka, Chew!
Ella on the other hand....
This girl WENT TO TOWN on this corn. I did not even have enough time to put on a bib before she was gnarling at it with her few teeth she has. I think I even heard a growl escape her lips as I put the bib on (midway through the feast of corn). Girlfriend can eat...Now if I can only figure out where it all goes. 90% for height...10% for weight. I DO feed her! Really I do!

Moral of the story: Stand clear when you utter the word "Free" around the Martushev's...We tend to get our money's worth.

No comments: