Monday, January 21, 2013

Helping me heal

It is never a good sign when a phone call comes anytime after midnight. This was no exception to the rule. My sweet cousin Jenny called to let me know that Aunt Diane had passed away early on Saturday, January 19th. Artyom was out of town and his phone was turned off, so I was forced to lay there by myself and try to take it all in. It was not till about 30 minutes later that it all sunk in and I needed...someone! I ended up calling my friend Chris in Italy and he let me blubber for a few minutes. It was all I needed.
The next morning. as I literally only slept for about 3 hours total that night, I told the girls that I was a little sad and needed to lay down for just a little bit. So I went downstairs to sleep. A little later I remember Ella shaking me and saying that she had made me breakfast in bed. To be honest, I was SO tired, I didnt know what to think. So when I could actually open my eyes a few minutes later, I looked over to see a piece of toast and a glass of milk set down on a pillow right next to me. Yep. Breakfast in bed. The toast may have had blueberry syrup on it, since Ella said she "knew it was my favorite" but it was the best gift she could have given me. He emulates the name she shares with Aunt Diane. It was a pretty proud mama moment.
Then the next morning, when Artyom got home, we told the girls that Aunt Diane was in heaven with Grandma. Sofia seemed to understand, Ella does not (which we expected). Later that morning, Sofia came to me with this...
It made my heart overflow with love for this little girl who wanted Jesus to know she missed her Grandma and Aunt Diane. What a blessing it is to know that we can be with our loved ones forever. It was one of those moments, that no matter how hard I try to teach her- today, she taught me.

No comments: