Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Nine months


All it took was nine months to make the miracle we call Ella. How amazing that is, and continues to be as I grow into this new role as a parent. I know this may not be interesting to many of you, but as this is an online journal of sorts, It is for Ella Diane to know...and you to read if you would like.

This time about a year ago, I was calling the doctor to let him know our 2nd girl had not come yet and although she was only 3 days late he wanted to induce due to my blood pressure elevating just slightly. I did not want them to take her, knowing she would come when she was ready. However, he asked that I call on Monday morning if she had not made it yet, so I did. He scheduled my inducement for the next morning. SO that was that...or so I thought.

The running joke is that Ella heard she was going to be taken before SHE wanted to be (a combination of the Pederson and Martushev stubborn streaks) and the fun began. Almost immediately after I hung up with the scheduling of my inducement the contractions began. Just a few contractions led to a call to Artyom (who had already left for work) to let him know that "...he might want to be on alert. No need to worry. Just letting you know honey." This was about 8:30AM Next call about an hour later: "Ok. You might want to come home after lunch. Let's say noon. That should be plenty of time." Fast forward about an hour later- "You need to come home NOW!!" It did not take him long to make it home, throw us all in the car (Thank goodness Baba was here visiting from Russia and was able to stay with Sofia) and as history has a habit of repeating itself, even telling the nurse that I "go really fast" did not convince them and I was at a 7.5 when we got to the hospital. I did get an epidural....dialated at 9 centimeters less than an hour later. Ouch. And the rest was cake. I must pause and say this really WAS a piece of cake considering my first experience...I drove myself to the hospital at 1:30 in the morning dialated at a 7...this time Artyom drove.
Our Ella joined us on July 7, 2008 and has been a wonderful baby and amazing addition to our family. So today I celebrate Ella. Celebrate her spirit, celebrate her goodness, celebrate her life.

Celebrate the fact that her parents ALSO made it to the year mark. Come on. Let's face it. The first birthday is a milestone for the parents as much as it is the child!

Happy Birthday my sweets. We all love you.


2 comments:

uniquelynat said...

could it be possible that we became "besties" a year ago!!?! how time flies...when you have never seen you bestie! :)

happy birthday sweet ella!!!

Alexie said...

My little Max just turned one a couple weeks ago. Isn't it wonderful and awful to think it's been a year. It went way faster with the second and I feel bad that he doesn't get as much one-on-one time with mom and dad. BUT on the other hand he adores Abby and it is so fun to see them grow together. Congratulations to Ella! PS She's so adorable.