Sunday, July 12, 2009

How do you say...?

We went to an International Food Night, a tradition that was started back with Liane and I were roommates and has followed with the fab five girls as have all gotten married. They never disappoint and last night's latest was no exception.

We were all enjoying our international cuisine and Sofia, sitting on a blanket, Said "Foohah" (or something to that effect) while rubbing her tummy.

Well the group had found out earlier that we were teaching Sofia Russian, so they assumed that was what she was speaking. However, when Sofia kept on repeating herself and the onlookers looked at me and I looked at Artyom (all with quizzical looks)...we were stumped.

She continued to repeat so I asked her if she was saying, Vfkusna (yummy in Russian) and she said, "Yeah, "Foohah!". Ok. Back to square one. Still don't know what language this is.

We all sat there a bid befuddled and I thought about it...."Sofia? I asked, Is this what Ni Hao Kai Lan Says? "(A chinese cartoon that she watches...) "Yeah!" she answers. "Foohah!"

"Its Chinese!" I announced to everyone. Everyone just started laughing. So we have our daughter that were trying to teach Russian who must think that one additional language is not enough. She is now onto Spanish and Chinese.

NOW who is the stumped one?

1 comment:

uniquelynat said...

that is hilarious!!! i would love to teach my children russian.....but i think i should learn it first so they can't conspire against me behind my back (or in front of my face!)! btw- ammon serve in russia, that's why the interest in russian.

OH- and october sounds SUPER to me!!! bring it on!