Monday, September 29, 2008

Traditions

Now that I have finally become a part of the "kid club" I have really been trying to start some family tradtions with the girls. Sofia is at the age that she remembers some of the smaller ones that I have tried to pass on from my childhood days. Here's the question...Can you tell me some of your own traditions that you do (or would like to start). I would love to hear them and if you don't mind possibly incorporate some into our family. Keep in mind that imitation is the best form of flattery! So list away- you might even find some we do interesting.

  • Every Sunday morning we make pancakes: it varies on what kind depending on what I have in the fridge. Some of our favorites are blueberry, applesauce, peach and banana. Sofia says "see" and drags the chair to watch me make the batter.
  • Now that Sofia is past her first Christmas, as kids we were allowed to open one present on Christmas Eve. Well be starting that tradition but having the girls open a "special" gift this year. Were going to have christmas pajamas each year. Artyom and I have matching and the girls will as well this year. So each year, the present our kids will open on Christmas Eve will always be thier Christmas Pajamas to put on and wear Christmas Day.
  • Daddy/Daughter Date night- Artyom started this with Sofia when I just needed a break. Now we have decided that we need to do it with all of our kids. He takes Sofia out once a week for a night with Dad. It usually is only for an hour or two, but I love that he does it. It might get a bit complicated when Ella gets old enough to go and we add more to our brood, but we have already started the practice and want to keep it going.
  • My girls (however many we end up having) will have christmas tree ornaments (all Russian ones). They get one each year and I put them in a box. I had heard of other moms doing this and then giving thier girls the ornaments when they get married. I loved the idea and am doing the same.
  • Our tree is only decorated with Russian ornaments. I really try to incorporate our Russian culture and even try to keep the holidays that Russia celebrates.

Those are a few that I could think of...Please, list yours and lets brainstorm together!

2 comments:

big_smartmouth said...

great post, chair!

some of the traditions we had growing up was when my mom went out of town, my dad make us "poor man spaghetti", (made with bacon instead of meatballs). my mom has always hated it so we waited for her to leave on her vacation or business trips to make it.

on christmas eve, we would go to both the grandparents houses for dinner so we could have all day, christmas day, with just our family. we also got to pick one present from under the tree and open it up right before we went to bed christmas eve.

i'm going to do the same for my kids, but i'm with you chair, i'll make their christmas eve gifts be pj's.

also, on their birthdays, i will let them pick the meals for the whole family that day. you want mac & cheese for breakfast? coming up, birthday girl!

the year before i married illya, i gave him a christmas ornament with a written message to him on the back. since then, i have added to his collection every year. i will do the same with my kids. i DO like that you make it a russian ornament though. i am totally with you on adding both cultures in our kids lives. anywhere from having eggs & paska (bread) on easter to celebrating ukraine holidays that we don't have here. i want them to know and be proud of where their dad came from.

Charity said...

THANK YOU FELLOW SLAVIC WIFE!! HEHE. I loved the traditions you listed. Especially the Mac and Cheese one.